From the video Introduction to Scientology
- L. Ron Hubbard: You have to neglect illness, and the body, and so forth, to improve man.
- L. Ron Hubbard: Psychiatry has to do with the insane, and we have nothing to do with the insane whatsoever. The insane — well, uh, they’re insane.
- L. Ron Hubbard: I asked them one day, up at Oxford, “What — what — what does ‘Scientology’ mean?” and they said — they — it means, really, “the study of knowledge” or “I know the word.”
- Tony Hitchman: But surely you’ve only got as much brain as you’re born with.
L. Ron Hubbard: Oh, no — brain has nothing to do with it. Brain is a sort of a — well, I don’t know, brain is brain. What it does, I’m never quite sure.
- L. Ron Hubbard: The insane, and so forth, somebody else can have them, they’ve already failed.
- L. Ron Hubbard: But that’s psychotherapy. That’s for the neurotic, or the person who is insane, or something like that. That has nothing to do with Scientology. Scientology is for an able guy like you, or like me, uh, able to function in life, able to make his own way, does his work, and so forth - all right, THAT’S the man that should be helped; that’s the man you should help out, because that fellow is having a hard time, and uh, he’s got his problems.